July 25, 2023
4-H/FFA Standards for Exhibition
As a reminder to Extension staff, Kansas 4-H and FFA are still working under the 4-H/FFA MOU and 4-H/FFA standards highlighted in the October 2018 4-H Tip Sheet regarding standards for dual enrollment. That information is listed below and the original Tip Sheet article can be found here. If you have any questions, reach out to email@example.com.
The purpose of the standards outlined below are to assist in determining eligible participation in FFA and/or 4-H Youth Development learning experiences. Both 4-H and Agriculture Education/FFA promote teaching youth life skills. Each program exists to maximize the participants’ knowledge of agriculture and its value to our communities while educating the young people to become productive citizens. Eligible youth may participate in both 4-H and FFA but should avoid duplication. The following standards of participation are used in delivering the 4-H and FFA programs in Kansas.
1. Agriculture Education teachers, FFA Advisors, Extension staff and local volunteers are encouraged to cooperate in sharing information and resources to provide educational opportunities for youth.
2. When young people are members of both 4-H and FFA, they must plan and manage separate projects, and/or supervised agriculture experiences (SAE) programs.
3. FFA and 4-H members may enroll in the same area of experience in 4-H and FFA; however, participants cannot identify, nominate, manage, keep records on, or exhibit the same plants, animals, etc. in both organizations. Members must designate exhibits as either FFA or 4-H at weigh-in, registration or similar deadline.
4. Members may participate in judging contests and related events in FFA and 4-H but cannot represent both organizations at a contest, show or event at the same time.
5. When 4-H and FFA are conducting collaborating activities, both the 4-H and FFA organizations must be represented through emblems and information on all signs, print materials and awards.
6. Collaborating FFA and 4-H activities or events are obligated to have supervision representation from both organizations.
The standards are in agreement with Kansas 4-H and FFA and hereby affirmed by members and professionals in order to participate in either educational program.