August 25, 2015
Diversity Programs Office Update
Welcome back students! The Diversity Programs Office (DPO) would also like to welcome back its staff: Phil Leblanc, Graduate Assistant; and Zuleica Gerardo, Undergraduate Assistant. We are excited and energized for what is to come this fall semester.
DPO would like to share some information about our events for the beginning of the school year:
- We would like to congratulate our own Dr. Zelia Wiley for giving the Charge at the New Student Convocation! The address was given on Sunday, August 23, at 5:30 p.m. in Bramlage Coliseum.
- The DPO encourages all of the K-State family to join us at the Rally Against Gun and Gang Violence hosted by BSU. Briona White, a senior in Biology, fell victim to the ongoing violence in her hometown of Chicago. The rally will be at 6:30 p.m. on the steps of Chalmers Hall.
- The DPO is happy to support he Douglas Community Recreation Center’s Jazz Nights every 1st Thursday of the month from 8 to 10:30 p.m. It is $5 for an individual, $8 per couple. There will be appetizers and refreshments provided. The first Jazz Night is September 3rd.
- The Douglas Community Recreation Center is also beginning its first session of eight week fitness classes, August 24 - October 15. Contact the Center for more information.
- The Activities Carnival will be held on Thursday, August 27, starting at 6 p.m. at the Student Union. When you go, please make sure to stop by the Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources, and Related Sciences (MANRRS) table to find out more information.
- The Black Student Union (BSU) Barbecue will be held on Saturday, August 29, from 1 to 5 p.m. Please stop by the MANRRS table to find out more information.
- MANRRS first meeting of the year will be held on Wednesday, September 2, at 6 p.m. in Waters Hall, Room 137. We will be having a Welcome Pizza Party and invite new students to join us.
- The DPO invites students to attend the following UPC events:
o Poster Sale – August 26, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m. in Bosco Student Plaza
o Hypnotist Kerry Sharp – August 26, 7 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom
o Andrew Schulz (Guy Code) & Jamie Lee (Girl Code) – August 28, 7:30 p.m. in McCain Auditorium
o Julia Landaeur, The Brand of You – August 31, 7 p.m. in Forum Hall
o Post Game Fireworks - September 5, at Bill Snyder Family Stadium
o 2nd Annual Volleyball Bash Student Tournament – September 25, 7 - 10 p.m. at the Chester A. Peters Recreation Center Outdoor Courts
- On Saturday, August 22nd, Kompass students completed the Guaranteed 4.0 program from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. This session was broken into two parts to allow time for students to grab lunch. The session was taught by Donna O and was enlightening for all who attended.
- Students attended the Project Impact Scholar Convocation Monday night at 6 p.m. Dr. Gordon, Dr. Wiley, Laverne Bitsie Baldwin, and Dr. Martin spoke to the students regarding last year’s successes and shortcomings along with suggestions to improve during the upcoming academic year.
Please continue to look for more diversity events as we continue to advertise. We appreciate your support. For more information about upcoming events or to collaborate with the DPO, please call 785-532-5793 or contact Dr. Zelia Wiley, Assistant Dean of Diversity, firstname.lastname@example.org.