1. Kansas State University
  2. »K-State Research and Extension
  3. »KSRE Tuesday Letter
  4. »UPDATE to K-State's Workers' Comp Incident Reporting

KSRE Tuesday Letter

Other publications

K-State Research and Extension
123 Umberger Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-3401

June 7, 2022

UPDATE to K-State's Workers' Comp Incident Reporting

Submitted by Mary N Gatza

If a K-State employee is injured while on duty, they are required to report the accident within three days. Agents would report to their regional director's office or the Extension Operations Office. Area and campus-based employees would report to their supervisor or department head's office.

All incidents, accidents or injuries should be reported through the New Electronic Incident Reporting System.

The updated system has been designed to capture the same information as ServiceNow, and there are no changes to any other facets of the incident reporting and workers' compensation programs.

The Human Capital Services benefits unit will continue to receive notifications through the incident reporting system and relay pertinent details to the State Self Insurance Fund. The fund will then determine if the incident is compensable under workers' compensation. Employees should never be discouraged from seeking medical treatment should they feel it necessary. They are encouraged, however, to obtain prior approval for treatment from the State Self Insurance Fund whenever possible. The Nurse Triage Line is available at 833-756-2007 to help manage this process. Due to strict processing deadlines, failure to submit the report timely could result in the denial of claims and/or benefits by the State Self Insurance Fund.

For additional information, you can go to the K-State Workers' Compensation Insurance page.  If you are not sure if it is to be considered under Workers' Comp, please see this flow chart for help. If you have any further questions, you can always contact me at marygatza@ksu.edu or at 785-532-3076.

If office professionals or program assistants of local Extension units are injured, contact the local provider of Workers' Compensation insurance for their process of reporting claims.